A category is a group of relevant items having common or shared characteristics. It is the area where you can group one or more content items or programs, which are having similar characteristics. For example, the programs with a similar skill level and/or purpose. Recreational, Competitive, Youth Programs, and Adult Programs.
Categories can be used to classify programs or content, so users can find them and access them easily. Categories are especially useful when there are a large number of programs or content, so users can navigate to the right one quickly and easily. Attach an image to each category to make it even more useful.
List of categories
It will display all the categories listed in a table format.
For every category, the following properties will be displayed.
- ID: An unique identification number to identify the category.
- Image: The uploaded image of the category. If there is no image, then a system-provided image will be displayed.
- Name: The name of the category. Clicking on the category name and/or image will open the category details page.
- #Programs: The number of programs that are associated with each category. Click on the number to view the list of programs under the category.
- #Content Items: The number of content items (articles, news, pages, etc.) that are associated with each category. Click on the number to view the list of content items under the category.
- To know how to assign the category to a program, click here.
- To know how to assign the category to a content item, click here.
Adding a category
To add a new category, hover the cursor on the green plus icon, and enter the following details.
- Name: Provide a meaningful name for the category, which can be used in identifying the list of content items and programs it contains.
- Priority: The priority tells the importance of a category. When presented to the user, higher priority categories appear ahead of the lower priority items.
- Description: Enter a brief description explaining the list of content items and programs that fall under the category.
- Link web address: Enter the complete website address of the web page that you want to link. The address should start with http:// or https://. Example: https://sportsquotes.us/baseball. In the widgets where this is presented, the category will appear as a link to the provided website address.
After entering the details, click on Add to save the category. Once the category is added, you will be navigated to the category details page, where you can upload an image for the category.
Note: Hover the cursor on the grid icon located at the top-right corner and click on the View category slideshow widget link. By doing this, you can see all the categories as a slideshow, and if any of the categories are having a link attached to it, then clicking on the category will open the linked web page.
Updating a category
- To update a category, hover the cursor on the three vertical dots icon under the Actions column and click on the Update Category link.
- Update the category details as needed, and after making the necessary changes, click on Update. The newly made changes will be immediately reflected in the relevant areas (like category slideshow widget and organization’s public website).
Deleting a category
To delete a category, hover the cursor on the three vertical dots icon under the Actions column and click on the Delete Category link.
Note: You may not be able to delete a category, which is associated with a program and/or content item. To delete such a category, detach the programs and content items from the category, and then delete it.